Daily Current Affairs 9 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President of India Inaugurates National Youth Summit
Ram Nath Kovind, the President of India, inaugurated the National Youth Summit in New Delhi, organised by the Youth Awakening Mission, a youth wing of Paavan Chintan Dhara Charitable Trust, Ghaziabad.
- He said that today’s India is full of youth power. Our youth have immense talent and energy. This talent and energy needs to be properly developed and utilized. Eight hundred million youth of our country, with their creative power, can take India to new heights of progress and human civilization.
Visakhapatnam railway station sets up ‘fun zone’ for kids
In a first of its kind in the Indian Railways, a paid gaming zone has been provided at Visakhapatnam railway station in Andhra Pradesh with an aim to cut down the monotony of prolonged waiting periods on railway stations and to make it an enjoyable experience, particularly for children.
- The gaming zone has various sets of interesting games to enthral children as well as adults. The games ranging from video shooting to other indoor games aim to keep children engaged during long waiting hours at platforms. The fun zone will have all the high-tech gaming activities at par with game parlours.
13-point improvement in sex ratio at birth in last five years: Smriti Irani
There has been a 13-point improvement in the sex ratio from 918 in 2014-15 to 931 in 2018-19 and the states should aim to double it in the coming years, Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani said
- Urging states to engage in convergent practices, Irani gave the example of Rajasthan’s Nagaur district, where a campaign called “coffee with collector” has been launched under which the district collector holds a conversation with villagers on improving sex ratio at birth.
First helicopter summit held in Dehradun
The Ministry of Civil Aviation organised India’s first-ever helicopter summit in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. The Indian Air Force was invited at the summit to talk on the “role of IAF helicopters in MEDEVAC (Medical evacuation) at the national level”.
Hurricane Dorian: India extends USD 1 mn aid to Bahamas
India said it will extend immediate disaster relief of USD 1 million to the Bahamas which is facing the wrath of Hurricane Dorian.
- Dorian, which ravaged the Bahamas as a Category 5 hurricane, wreaked havoc in the island country, uprooting trees, destroying communication lines and flattening houses, rendering hundreds of people homeless.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI bars Equitas from opening new branches
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has taken action against Equitas Small Finance Bank (ESFB) for failing to meet the deadline for getting its shares listed. The central bank has barred the lender from opening any new branches and has also frozen the salary of the CEO.
UPI transactions top 900 million in August
Transactions made through Unified Payments Interface (UPI) have, for the first time, crossed the 900 million mark in August, led by an increase in merchant adoption of the payment channel and improved smartphone penetration in certain states.
- Newly released data from National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) show that in August, a total of 918 million transactions worth Rs 1.54 lakh crore were processed on the interoperable digital payments channel; an 11.6% surge in volumes and 5.5% in value from the month of July, when 822 million transactions worth Rs 1.46 lakh crore were made
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI selects vendor for app to help visually impaired identify notes
The Reserve Bank of India has selected Daffodil Software Pvt Ltd to develop a mobile app for the visually impaired to help them identify currency notes. As many as 16 vendors had shown interest in developing the app and five made to “final ranking”, said an RBI document. The RBI says an internet connection wouldn’t be required for its app.
Bangladesh makes hat-trick as it lifts Subroto Cup U-17 Girls
Bangladesh Krida Shiksha Prothishtan (BKSP) thrashed Nilmani English School, Manipur, 4-0 in the final of the Diamond jubilee edition of Subroto Cup (under-17 girls) at Ambedkar Stadium in Delhi.
Nadal wins 4th US Open title after marathon five-set battle with Russia’s Medvedev
Spain’s Rafael Nadal has won his fourth US Open title and 19th major championship with a 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 win over Russia’s Daniil Medvedev.
Charles Leclerc wins first Italian Grand Prix for Ferrari in nine years
A riveting performance from Charles Leclerc saw the Monegasque claim his second victory in as many weekends, winning the Italian Grand Prix for Ferrari for the first time since 2010.
Mohammad Nabi set to retire from Test cricket
Afghanistan all-rounder Mohammad Nabi is all set to retire from Test cricket after the ongoing one-off game against Bangladesh.
KVIC chief Vinai Kumar Saxena gets 3 year extension
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) Chairman Vinai Kumar Saxena will continue to head the organisation for another three years.
- Saxena, first appointed KVIC Chairman in October 2015, explored untapped streams of Khadi and Village Industries and implemented many innovative schemes like ‘Honey Mission’, ‘Kumhaar Sashaktikaran Scheme’ and leather artisans development scheme.
Vijay Kumar Chopra, Vineet Jain elected PTI chairman & vice-chairman
Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers and Vineet Jain, Managing Director of Bennett, Coleman and Company Limited(BCCL), the publisher of Times of India, were unanimously elected Chairman and Vice-Chairman respectively of Press Trust of India (PTI), the country’s premier news agency.
Kathakali maestro Kottakkal Chandrasekhara Warrier passes away
Renowned Kathakali maestro and head of PSV Natya Sangham Kottakkal Chandrasekhara Warrier passed away. He was 74. He was under treatment for heart ailments.
Tamil star Rajasekar passes away at 62
Popular Tamil actor-director Rajasekar has passed away at the age of 62. He garnered fame by playing the role of the grandfather in Praveen Bennett’s directorial serial ‘Saravanan Meenatchi.’
Actor, Kathak Dancer Veeru Krishnan passes away
Actor and Kathak dancer Veeru Krishnan passed away in Mumbai. He was best known for his work in films like Raja Hindustani, Dulhe Raja, Akele Hum Akele Tum among others.
International Literacy Day
Every year International Literacy Day is celebrated on 8 September globally to raise awareness and remind people of the importance of literacy as a matter of dignity and human rights. UNESCO declared this day as an opportunity for governments, civil society and stakeholders to highlight improvements in world literacy rates, and reflect on the world’s persisting literacy challenges.
- The 2019 Theme for International Literacy Day: Literacy and Multilingualism.