Daily Current Affairs 9 September 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
President Droupadi Murmu launches Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaanz
President Droupadi Murmu virtually launched the Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan to reinvigorate the mission of TB elimination from the country by 2025. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had given the clarion call to end TB in the country five years ahead of the Sustainable Development Goals of 2030 at the Delhi End TB Summit in March 2018.
- During the event, President Murmu also launched the Ni-kshay Mitra initiative, a portal to provide a platform for donors to provide various forms of support to those undergoing TB treatment.
Pudhumai Penn scheme launch in Tamil Nadu
CM M K Stalin and Arvind Kejriwal inaugurated a social welfare initiative and model school scheme in Tamil Nadu. The Moovalur Ramamirtham Ammaiyar Higher Education Scheme, often known as the “Pudhumai Penn Scheme” was then officially started by the Chief Minister, Stalin.
- As the name suggests, Pudhumai Penn, which means modern woman, so the name of the scheme has been kept to remind people that the scheme is not just financial aid but also focuses on modern times.
NIESBUD, IIE and ISB come together to offer Entrepreneurial programmes to India’s youth
The National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD) and the Indian Institute of Entrepreneurship (IIE), under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), individually signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian School of Business (ISB), a top-ranked global business school on the 1st of September 2022, to offer world class management education through entrepreneurial programmes targeted towards youth, job seekers and budding entrepreneurs.
Women in Engineering, Science, and Technology (WEST): Launching of a new I-STEM initiative
Women in Engineering, Science, and Technology (WEST), a new I-STEM (Indian Science Technology and Engineering facilities Map) initiative called “Women in Engineering, Science, and Technology (WEST)” was launched on 5th September 2022. The WEST programme will cater to women with a STEM background and empower them to contribute to the science, technology, and innovation ecosystem.
- Through the WEST initiative, I-STEM shall provide a separate platform to scientifically inclined women researchers, scientists, and technologists for pursuing research in basic or applied sciences in frontier areas of science and engineering.
India ranks 132nd out of 191 in UNDP’s human development index
India with HDI value 0.633 ranked 132nd among 191 countries and territories on the 2021 Human Development Index (HDI), showed a report by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
- Among India’s neighbours, Sri Lanka (73rd), China (79th), Bangladesh (129th), and Bhutan (127th) are ranked above India, while Pakistan (161st), Nepal (143rd), and Myanmar (149th) are worse off.
- Switzerland with HDI value 0.962 tops the list followed by Norway and Iceland.
US approves $450 million F-16 fleet sustainment programme to Pakistan
Reversing the decision of its predecessor, the Biden Administration has approved a whopping USD 450 million F-16 fighter jet fleet sustainment programme to Pakistan.
NASA’s Experiment MOXIE successfully creates oxygen on Mars
An gadget the size of a lunchbox (MOXIE by NASA) is demonstrating its ability to consistently carry out the work of a tiny tree on the red and dusty surface of Mars, some 100 million miles from Earth. Since April 2021, roughly two months after it landed on the Martian surface as part of NASA’s Perseverance rover and Mars 2020 mission, the MIT-led Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment, or MOXIE, has been producing oxygen from the Red Planet’s carbon-dioxide-rich atmosphere.
Neeraj Chopra becomes first Indian to win Zurich Diamond League Final in Switzerland
Tokyo Olympic gold medallist javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has achieved yet another historic feat as he became the first Indian to win the prestigious Zurich Diamond League Final 2022 in Switzerland. Neeraj Chopra’s second throw, measuring 88.44 metre, won him the Diamond League trophy.
- Olympic silver medallist Jakub Vadlejch of Czech Republic finished second.
Pieter Elbers takes charge as IndiGo’s new CEO
Former KLM chief executive officer and industry veteran Pieter Elbers assumed charge as the new CEO of IndiGo. He has replaced 71-year-old Ronojoy Dutta.
Queen Elizabeth II, UK’s longest-serving monarch passes away after reigning for 70 years
Britain’s longest reigning monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, passed away on September 8 at the age of 96. Her death at her Scottish estate, Balmoral Castle, was announced by Buckingham Palace.
- The Queen came to the throne in 1952 and witnessed enormous social change.
- With Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II’s death, her eldest son Charles, the former Prince of Wales, will lead the country in mourning as the new King.