The following words are taken from The Hindu Editorial which are important for the upcoming exams. Add some more words to your vocabulary list.
Scrutiny – critical observation or examination.
- Synonyms: audit, perusal, surveillance, exploration
- Antonyms: glance, cursory look
- Usage: We have around 45 crore bank accounts and if 1% of such accounts are picked up for scrutiny, that itself will make 45 lakh cases.
Perjure – wilfully tell an untruth or make a misrepresentation under oath
- Synonyms: deceive, delude, equivocate, forswear, mislead, prevaricate
- Antonyms: prove, certify, attest
- Usage: She admitted that she had perjured herself
Denouement – the outcome or resolution of a doubtful series of occurrences.
- Synonyms: epilogue, culmination, climax, conclusion, resolution
- Antonyms: beginning, origin,
- Usage: For nearly two weeks now there has been non stop discussion and denouement of one or the other of the two rivals.
Embattled – involved in or prepared for war, especially because surrounded by enemy forces.
- Synonyms: crenelated, beset, fortified
- Antonyms: plain, unprepared
- Usage: The denouement matters immensely to the outcomes in Syria, the future of the embattled European Union.
Caveat – a warning of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations.
- Synonyms: admonition, monition, condition, stipulation
- Antonyms: consonance, carelessness
- Usage: Collectors cannot impose caveat on bank officials over property recovery
Jettison – to cast (goods) overboard in order to lighten a vessel or aircraft or to improve its stability in an emergency.
- Synonyms: abandon, abdicate, slough, maroon
- Antonyms: assert, retain,
- Usage: Six aircraft jettisoned their loads in the sea
Bellicose – demonstrating aggression and willingness to fight
- Synonyms: belligerent, hostile, threatening, antagonistic, pugnacious
- Antonyms: peaceable, agreeable
- Usage: Neither sanctions nor warnings issued by other powers have had any impact on North Korea’s bellicose behaviour.
Eclectic – deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
- Synonyms: wide-ranging, wide, broad, extensive, comprehensive
- Antonyms: narrow, dogmatic
- Usage: Traditional fare will be an eclectic mix from various saints and composers.
Torrid – very hot and dry.
- Synonyms: sweltering, sultry, scorching, boiling, parching, sizzling
- Antonyms: cold, cool, wet
- Usage: During these torrid temperatures, it is best we stay indoors and consume lots of fluids.
Accusation – a charge or claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong.
- Synonyms: allegation, assertion, incrimination, imputation, denouncement
- Antonyms: approval, commendation, praise, compliment
- Usage: She had wrote a letter in which she said that all the accusations against her are false.