State Bank of India (SBI) is going to conduct examination for its recruitment for the post of Probationary Officers (SBI PO 2018) for a total of 2000 vacancies.
The examination will be held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview. The Preliminary Exam is scheduled on 1st, 7th & 8th of July 2018. Details of the exam are as under:
Practice the questions so as to familiarize yourself with the pattern of questions to be asked in the exam.
Direction (1-5): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- India may not have qualified for the finals of the 2018 Fifa World Cup but a strong contingent of Indian spectators will be there in Russia for the month-long ___________________ of football. Among them a whole host of Indian business leaders, there to ___________________ the on-field action, soak in the atmosphere and in general, enjoy themselves.
lamentation, regretcarnival, savourexult, avulsefestivity, extricateAll are CorrectOption B
- On Sunday, the Narendra Modi government took its first step towards fulfilling a goal it had set in 2014. That was when the Centre had ___________________ the idea of allowing lateral entry from ___________________ and the private sector at the joint-secretary level. The years since have seen a fair amount of will-they-won’t-they.
seized, varsitycaptured, academemooted, academiaappropriated, instituteAll are CorrectOption C
- Asia’s dependence on the triad (the US, Europe and Japan) as sources of technology, management and organization expertise—which are ___________________ in multinationals from these countries—as well as final export markets remains ___________________ . However, China’s importance to the development of the region is no less significant.
tangible, surpluscombined, trivialincarnate, naiveembodied, criticalAll are CorrectOption D
- Although the government is in the process of recapitalising state-run banks, it is likely that the current Rs 2.11 trillion PSU bank recapitalization plan will not be ___________________ to put the PSU banks back on track. Since PSU banks own about 70% of banking assets, their ___________________ to lend will have a direct impact on economic growth.
sufficient, inabilitysubpar, unabilityempty, disabilityenough, disabilityAll are CorrectOption A
- The crisis of 2008 is supposed to have ___________________ an end to the dominance of capital over labour. It has not turned out that way. In fact, things have become worse for the working class. It is a triple ___________________ for them now. Last week, in his recent Monetary Authority of Singapore lecture in Singapore, Raghuram Rajan mentioned that the physical distance between a bank branch and its clients has been rising over time.
announced, blessingproclaimed, opportunityheralded, whammyanticipated, occasionAll are CorrectOption C
- Diego Maradona’s goals against England and Belgium in 1986 may have mesmerized spectators but what won Argentina its second title was his ___________________ to Jorge Burruchaga in the finals for the winning goal. It is the reason why the world’s top two players, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, stay empty handed at the World Cup.
a. amorphous pass
b. pin-point pass
c. actual passOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
- The upshot is a bureaucracy ill-suited to the rapidly changing nature of technology-fuelled economic progress and governance. Lateral entry is essential to infuse ___________________ into this closed “mandarin” system. The UK has already attempted this with some success. Countries with similar systems that haven’t are suffering.
a. saucy spirit
b. new zest
c. fresh vigourOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- China has served as the ___________________ in Asian GVCs as a centre of processing and assembling intermediate inputs for re-exporting to the world market. Nevertheless, China’s role in the intra-Asian trade network will evolve over time due to ongoing structural shifts of its economy.
a. key note
b. key node
c. important factorOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- At a broader level, as Reddy noted in his remarks, there should be clarity on the future of PSU banks. In fact, some of the banking reforms will only work if a clear road map ___________________ . For instance, if the government believes that a few banks should focus on underbanked areas, some fiscal support may be warranted.
a. is explicated
b. is represented
c. is definedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- There is a danger in proposing “arms-around” capitalism as an alternative to arms-length capitalism. For some, the other name for “arms-around” ___________________ . That is not what I am advocating. Cronyism is different from relationship or “arms-around” capitalism. Cronyism plays favourites.
a. capitalism is cronyism
b. crony capitalism
c. capitalism cronyismOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D
Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.