- In an election between two candidates, the winner got 65% of the total votes cast and won the election by a majority of 2400 votes. What is the total number of votes cast if 20% vote is declared invalid?
Let the total votes be x.
20 …………… 80
………. 65 …… 35 diff (30 = 2400)
X*80/100 * 30/100 =2400
- The population of a city is 40000. On an increase of 10% in the number of men and an increase of 5% in the number of women, the population would become 43250. What was the number of women initially?
Let the no of men be x and women be 40000-x.
X*10/100 + (40000-x)* 5/100 =3250
(10x+40000*5 -5x)/100 =3250
- A shopkeeper gave an additional 10 percent concession on the reduced price after giving 40 percent standard concession on an article. If Arjun bought that article for Rs. 2160, what was the original price?
Let the original price =x.
X*(100-40)/100 * (100-10)/100 =2160
- The length, breadth and height of a room are in ratio 4:2:1. If breadth and height are halved while the length is doubled, then the total area of the four walls of the room will
Let length, breadth and height of the room be 4, 2, 1m.
Area of walls = 2(l+b)*h = 2(4+2)*1 = 12 m sq.
Now, length, breadth and height of room will become 8, 1 and 1/2
Now, area of walls = 2(8+1)*1/2 = 9 m sq
% decrease in the area of walls = (12-9)*100/12 = 25%.
- In my office, at least 50% of the people read an e-newspaper. Among those who read an e-newspaper, at most 25% read more than one e-paper. Only one of the following statements follows from the statements given below. Which one is it?
At the most 37.5% read exactly one e-paperAt least 19.8% read exactly one e-paperAt the most 19.8% read exactly one e-paperAt least 37.5% read exactly one e-paperNoneOption D
Let the number of people in my office=100
At least 50 people read an e-newspaper.
At most 12.5 people read more than one e-newspaper.
Then at least 37.5 people read only one e-newspaper.
At least 37.5% read exactly one e-newspaper.
- A Man spends 40% of his income on education and 50% of the remaining on food. He gives Rs. 2000 as monthly rent and now has Rs. 1600 left with him. What is his monthly income?
Let his income be x.
40 ……… 60
……. 50 ….. 50(1600+2000)
- In a School, 60% of the students are boys. In an aptitude test, 80% of the girls scored more than 40 marks (out of a maximum possible 150 marks). If 60% of the total students scored more than 40 marks in the same test, find the fraction of the boys who scored 40 marks or less?
10/118/ 158/135/16NoneOption B
Let the total number of students be y.
Number of boys=3y/5
Number of girls=2y/5
Number of girls scoring more than 40 marks=4/5×2y/5=8y/25
Total number of students scoring more than 40 marks=3y/5
No of boys less than 40 is 3y/5-7y/25 =8y/25
Required fraction =8/25×5/3=8/15
- A man can type 20 lines in 10 minutes but he leaves 8% margin in each line. In how much time will he type 23 pages with 40 lines on each page leaving 25% more margin than before ?
7hrs 30mins6hrs 15mins7hrs8hrsNoneOption A
1 page has 23 lines.
[(100-8) * 20]/10 = [(100-125/100*8)*23*40]/x
- In a class of 60 students and 10 teachers, each student got sweets that are 20% of the total number of students and each teacher got sweets that are 40% of the total number of students. How many sweets were there?
60*20/100*60 + 10*40/100*60
- The area of a rectangle is 60 cm 2, but while measuring its length a student decreases it by 20% and the breadth increases by 25%. The percentage error in area, calculated by the student is
10%No change20%15%NoneOption B
Let the length and breadth be 100cm.
New l and b=80, 125
100*100 = 80*125
Both are equal So no change in area.