Daily Current Affairs 12 August 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Narendra Modi dedicates 2G ethanol plant in Panipat
On the occasion of World Biofuel Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the 2nd generation (2G), Ethanol Plant, in Panipat, Haryana.
- The 2G biofuel plant has been set up to strengthen the efforts to boost the production and usage of biofuels in the country.
- According to the Prime Minister’s Office, the ethanol plant has been developed by Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL), at an estimated cost of over ₹900 crore.
Maharashtra Governor inaugurates the 22nd ‘Bharat Rang Mahotsav’ in Mumbai
Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari inaugurated the 22nd ‘Bharat Rang Mahotsav’ at Rabindra Natya Mandir in Mumbai. The five-day drama festival (being held from August 9 to August 13, 2022) was being jointly organised by the Union Ministry of Culture and P.L. Deshpande Maharashtra Kala Akademi in the city to pay tribute to our freedom fighters.
New ‘Langya’ virus identified in China
Dozens of people in China have fallen ill with a new virus that is also found in shrews, a report has said, but there is so far no evidence of human-to-human transmission.
- The virus is called Langya henipavirus or LayV, and patients reported symptoms that include fever, fatigue, cough, nausea and headaches.
- Some people also developed blood cell abnormalities and impaired liver and kidney functions, the report said.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI imposes ₹2.33 Cr Monetary Penalty on Spandana Sphoorty Financial
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of ₹2.33 crore on Hyderabad-based Spandana Sphoorty Financial Ltd for its failure to adhere to the pricing of credit guidelines for Non-Banking Financial Company – Micro Finance Institutions (NBFC-MFIs).
In a first, SBI formalises policy to finance makers of lab-grown diamonds
State of Bank of India is the first Indian lender to frame a policy to fund makers of lab-grown diamonds which come across as replicas of the natural stones, but are often looked at with suspicion by high-street banks and scoffed at by many traditional diamantaires.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s GDP Growth to be fastest in Asia in FY23: Morgan Stanley
India is expected to be the fastest-growing Asian economy in FY23, by contributing 28% of its GDP to Asia’s growth, and 22% to global growth according to analysts from financial services firm Morgan Stanley. During this period, India’s GDP growth is expected to grow at an average of 7%.
Chess Olympiad: Uzbekistan wins Open section gold, Ukraine in Women’s section
The 14th-seeded Uzbekistan team won the gold medal while Armenia and India-2 team won the silver and bronze in the Open section of the 44th Chess Olympiad, the International Chess Federation (FIDE) said.
- The Uzbekistan team defeated the Netherlands in the second round with Jakhongir Vakhidov’s win on board 4.
- According to FIDE, Ukraine is the winner of the gold in the women’s section.
Prabath Jayasuriya and Emma Lamb are ICC players of the month for July
Sri Lankan spin sensation Prabath Jayasuriya and England’s emerging all-rounder Emma Lamb were voted ICC player of the month for July.
- The 30-year-old Jayasuriya fought off competition from Jonny Bairstow — England’s in-form batter and June’s Player of the Month winner — and French youngster Gustav McKeon to claim the honour.
- Meanwhile, Lamb was rewarded after an extraordinary three-match ODI series against South Africa.
Justice Uday Umesh Lalit appointed 49th Chief Justice of India
President Droupadi Murmu has been appointed senior-most judge of the Supreme Court Justice Uday Umesh Lalit as the Chief Justice of India. Justice Lalit will take over as the 49th Chief Justice of India on 27 August 2022.
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh releases book ‘Rusty Skies & Golden Winds’
Union Minister of State (IC) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Dr. Jitendra Singh, launched a poetry book titled ‘Rusty Skies and Golden Winds’ written by 11 years old Sannidhya Sharma, student of class 7th, here at Jammu. The book is published by Blue-Rose Publishers.
- The Union Minister lauded the efforts of the little author in crystallising his thoughts in the shape of a collection of his poems and his rare achievement at this tender age and wished him a bright future.