Daily Current Affairs 17 & 18 July 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Department of Consumer Affairs launches ‘Jagriti’, a mascot to empower consumers and generate awareness towards consumer rights
The Department of Consumer Affairs (DoCA) has launched “Jagriti”, a mascot for empowering consumers and generating awareness of their rights. Jagriti will be projected as an empowered consumer who is spreading awareness about consumer rights & addressing solutions to the problems faced by the consumers.
- The “Jagriti” mascot will be used to generate consumer awareness about various themes of the Department like provisions of Consumer Protection Act 2019, Hallmarking, National Consumer Helpline toll free number 1915, provisions of weights & measures Act, decisions of the Central Consumer Protection Authority and testimonials by consumers on grievance redressal.
- By bringing the Jagriti Mascot, DoCA aims to strengthen its consumer awareness campaign presence in digital and multimedia and reinforce a young empowered and informed consumer as a top-of-mind consumer rights awareness recall brand.
- Jagriti mascot shall be shown along with tagline “Jago Grahak Jago” in all its media campaigns. The two are new synonymous with young aware consumers and bring sharp focus to consumer rights knowledge and movement.
Def ministry sets up committee to conduct performance & efficiency audit
The defence ministry has set up an apex committee to conduct “performance and efficiency” audit of capital procurements, logistics, inventory and maintenance of assets of the armed forces.
- The committee, headed by the defence secretary (Dr. Ajay Kumar presently) , will advise Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on measures for overall improvement in strengthening of internal oversight and risk management framework in various aspects of functioning of the ministry.
Raksha Mantri launches Y- 3023 Dunagiri, Project 17A frigate at GRSE Ltd, Kolkata
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched Y- 3023 Dunagiri, Project 17A frigate built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders Limited (GRSE) in Kolkata.
- P17A Frigates are follow-on class of the P17 (Shivalik Class) Frigates with improved stealth features, advanced weapons and sensors and platform management systems. Seven P17A Frigates are under various stages of construction at Mazagaon Dock Limited (MDL) and GRSE.
Kerala becomes first state to have own internet service
Kerala has now become the first and only state in the country to have its own internet service.
- The announcement came in the wake of the Kerala Fiber Optic Network Ltd, an ambitious IT infrastructure project of the government to make the internet accessible to everyone in the state, receiving the Internet Service Provider (ISP) license from the Department of Telecommunications.
- The KFON scheme is envisaged to provide free internet to BPL families and 30,000 government offices.
KVIC launches Knowledge Portal for Khadi by the Center
The Knowledge Portal for Khadi is a platform developed by the Center of Excellence for Khadi to provide design directions to the Khadi institutions. The portal was inaugurated by Ms Preeta Verma, CEO-KVIC, on 14th July 2022. The Center of Excellence for Khadi has been set up by KVIC, Ministry of MSME at NIFT, to support Khadi Institutions.
- Knowledge Port for Khadi attempts to disseminate design knowledge to a broader section of Khadi Institutions. The portal intends to create design intervention by simplifying the trends specially suitable for Khadi.
- The portal will be hosted on the website of the Center of Excellence for Khadi and can be accessed on www.coek.in
Telangana govt announces DiCRA in partnership with UNDP
Telangana government in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) announced Data in Climate Resilient Agriculture (DiCRA), the latest addition to the Digital Public Goods Registry.
- Powered by Artificial Intelligence, the platform is geared towards strengthening food systems and food security.
- With UNDP Accelerator Labs and partner organizations, it is first-of-its-kind digital commons to drive climate action not only for Telangana but for the entire world.
BANKING & FINANCE
Yes Bank inks term sheet With JC Flowers ARC for sale of stressed loans
Yes Bank said that it has signed a binding term sheet with JCF ARC LLC and JC Flowers Asset Reconstruction for strategic partnership in relation to sale of identified stressed loans of the bank up to Rs 48,000 crore.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Quantum Mutual Fund launches India’s first Nifty 50 ETF Fund of Fund
Quantum Mutual Fund launches Quantum Nifty 50 ETF Fund of Fund (FoF), an open-ended FoF scheme that will be investing in the units of Quantum Nifty 50 Exchange Traded Fund. This is India’s first Nifty 50 FoF.
- The new fund offer opens on July 18, 2022, and closes on August 1, 2022. The scheme will re-open for subscription and redemption on an ongoing basis from August 10, 2022. The scheme will be benchmarked to NIFTY 50- Total Return Index.
MHA website tops among central ministry services portals
The website of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has been ranked first and the Digital Police portal second in a service delivery assessment of websites of central government ministries.
- The National e-Governance Service Delivery Assessment was conducted by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) in association with its knowledge partners NASSCOM and KPMG in 2021
- In this exercise, the service portals were evaluated along with their parent ministry’s and department’s portal.
Indian Bank bags SHG Linkage award from NABARD
Indian Bank has bagged the best performing bank award in Tamil Nadu for the FY 2021-22 under SHG Bank Linkage Programme category from NABARD.
DBS named ‘World’s Best SME Bank’ by Euromoney for second time
DBS has been recognised as the ‘World’s Best SME Bank’ yet again, entrenching the bank’s position as a global industry leader in partnering SMEs to grow and expand their businesses across borders and digitally.
- DBS’ latest global best SME bank accolade comes from leading UK-based financial publication Euromoney, which has honoured DBS with the ‘World’s Best SME Bank’ title for the second time since 2018.
Actor-filmmaker Pratap Pothen passes away at 70
Actor-filmmaker Pratap Pothen passed away in Chennai at the age of 70. He was last seen in Mammooty starrer CBI5 The Brain which released earlier this year. His other popular works include Thakara, Chamaram, 22 Female Kottayam.
- Known for his work in Malayalam cinema, he also worked in Tamil and Telugu films. He won a National Award for directing the 1985 film Meendum Oru Kaathal Kathai.