Daily Current Affairs 17 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Modi govt to set up 562 more Ekalavya schools
The Centre will set up 562 more Ekalavya Model Residential Schools in tribal areas of the country. 271 such schools have already been sanctioned out of which, 190 are currently operational.
- The government is committed to providing quality education to tribal children and it has been announced in the Budget that by the year 2022, every block with at least 20 thousand tribal persons, will have an Ekalavya School.
India to land Chandrayaan-2 on Moon in April
India, which has been making strides in the space race, is set to land its Chandrayaan-2 on the Moon in April.
- It is India’s Chandrayaan-I which discovered the presence of water on the surface of the moon. It is going to be a further extension of that
- Chandrayaan-2 is India’s second lunar exploration mission after Chandrayaan-1.
Canadian PM Trudeau arrives on a 7-day visit to India
Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau arrived in India on a seven-day State visit. His visit is aimed at further strengthening bilateral relations between the two countries in key areas of mutual interest including trade and investment, energy, science and innovation, higher education, infrastructure development, skill development and space.
Iran President Hassan Rouhani arrives on 3-day visit to India
President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani arrived in India on a three-day State visit. Rouhani chose to begin his three-day visit from Hyderabad as the city has a long history of cultural and religious ties with Iran.
Govt allows WhatsApp payments to roll-out to 1 mn beta users
The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has given its consent to roll out WhatsApp BHIM UPI beta launch with limited user base of 1 million and low per transaction limit. WhatsApp’s payment service with full-fledged features will be launched after the beta test of the service in India.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI launches global customer service centre for NRIs in Kochi
State Bank of India launched its Global NRI Centre (GNC) in Kochi, Kerala, a one-stop customer service point for all NRI banking-related activities.
- To further enhance the service experience for NRIs, the bank also launched other services such as wealth management, SBI Intelligent Assist, free post-box, and remittance facility for US-based customers.
TCS recognized as a global Top Employer for the third consecutive year
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been recognized as the world’s best employers by the Top Employer Institute for the consecutive third year.
- TCS was selected from a pool of 1,300 companies in 113 countries for offering exceptional services to its employees.
IFC, PNB Housing plan $800m platform for affordable homes
International Finance Corporation (IFC), member of the World Bank Group, is set to enter into a pact with PNB Housing Finance to form an $800-million platform to support construction of environment-friendly affordable houses across the country.
- With this platform, IFC is helping mobilise over $1.6 billion for affordable housing segment in less than 10 months.
- This is the second such platform to be formed by IFC after partnering with HDFC in November. The platform set up with India’s largest mortgage lender was also worth $800 million to support construction of affordable homes.
Virat Kohli becomes fastest to 17,000 international runs
Virat Kohli has become the fastest batsman to reach 17,000 international runs, achieving the feat in his 363rd innings during the sixth ODI against South Africa. Kohli surpassed South Africa’s Hashim Amla, who had reached the feat in 381 innings last year. Kohli had become the fastest to 16,000 runs last year, reaching the landmark in 350 innings.
Roger Federer becomes oldest world no. 1 in tennis history
Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has become the oldest-ever men’s singles world number one tennis player, at the age of 36. Federer achieved the feat by defeating Dutchman Robin Haase in the Rotterdam Open quarterfinals.