Directions(1-5): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
Banks in Italy fared better during the financial crisis than many of their peers, sparing Italian taxpayers the ___1___ their counterparts in other countries had to shoulder. But although they stuck to their cautious business models and avoided fuelling a big housing boom and bust, Italy’s ___2___ recession has ___3___ them. It has caused bad loans to soar, which in turn has prevented them from supporting a still weak recovery with new lending.
The burden of non-performing loans (NPLs) in Italy is now ___4___: they amount to €350 billion ($370 billion), the equivalent of 21% of GDP. With these unproductive assets tying up their capital, Italian banks are unable to extend new credit to businesses. In fact, they are lending out less in an effort to ___5___ their balance-sheets.
sell-outbail-outssell upgive upAll are CorrectOption B
agileboisterousprotractedbriefAll are CorrectOption C
quickenconsolidatedinvigoratedenfeebledAll are CorrectOption D
immenseatomicinfinitesimalmeasurableAll are CorrectOption A
prop upshore upkeep uphold upAll are CorrectOption B
- (A) The real reason, according to French gossip, is a rift with his wife Brigitte, /(B) who was overheard reprimanding him by palace staff. “No more fuck-ups,” /(C) was her alleged command, after he posed for unpresidential photos with half-naked rappers. Rumours became so febrile that his press people posted a picture of the pair together, hashtagged “love”, /(D) and the world breathed a sigh of relief, because that was definitely what people do when they are truly in love.
was = is
- (A) It stretches credulity to believe Corbynism does not represent a decisive break with a once /(B) suffocating political consensus on tax. The founders of New Labour believed the party had suffered /(C) its shock 1992 defeat because of its overly ambitious tax plans. Under then shadow chancellor, John Smith, the party had proposed hiking the top rate of /(D) income tax from 40p to 50p, and the Tories zoned on in “Labour’s tax bombshell”.
zoned on in = zoned in on
- (A) This is a good time for Yorkshire culture. The new star of Doctor Who, Jodie Whittaker, /(B) comes from Huddersfield, birthplace also of Simon Armitage, /(C) a frontrunner for next year’s announcement of the next UK poet laureate. Leeds United – one of the world’s greatest team when /(D) I was growing up in the city – are showing tantalising signs, after 14 years outside the highest league and 14 managers in six years, of returning to the Premier League to celebrate the club’s centenary in 2019.
team = teams
- (A) Arron Banks, the chairman of Leave.EU, has taken the unusual step of writing to each household /(B) in my parliamentary constituency of Folkestone and Hythe, telling them that I am a “disgrace” and a “snake in the grass”. /(C) He claims that “I have never respected the result of the [Brexit] referendum.” However, he is unable to point to anything in my /(D) voting record in parliament to substantiate his assertion.
- (A) In the wake of the tragedy of Pittsburgh, the murder of 11 Jewish people at a synagogue in /(B) America’s most deadly act of antisemitism, we have heard a repeated cautionary refrain: /(C) that words have consequences. Donald Trump’s White House denies that the president’s rhetoric has any impact on reality. /(D) But others had noted that the “apparent spark” for the Pittsburgh murders was a “racist hoax” inflamed by the US president, who in the run-up to the US midterm elections has been scaremongering over a Honduran caravan of refugees fleeing violence and travelling to the US border to seek asylum, feeding antisemitic conspiracy theories that it has been funded by Jews.
had = have
Directions(6-10): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is an error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.